Jeff Commings keeps defying age as a Masters Swimmer. We learn his secrets and hear some of the best taper advice out there for Masters. Jeff has been involved in swimming since his college days at the University of Texas at Austin. He won many awards during his time there and was an Olympic trials qualifier. His passion and drive for swimming are relentless and keep him performing on a world-class level. We learn about his training routine, how he tapers from an intense training block, why it is essential to stretch after a workout, the importance of keeping an eye on the competition, and what his best performance in the pool is. He also shares advice for people who want to switch from endurance swimming to sprint swimming, and how to bring more diversity to the sport. Want some of the MOJO that makes him a champion? Then tune in for this awe-inspiring conversation with special guest, Jeff Commings!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How Jeff maintains a balance between his passion for swimming and his personal life.
- His mental approach to pushing through the pain barrier during training or a race event.
- Ways in which he is able to maintain his speed as an older swimmer.
- We find out what his best performance and intervals are.
- Advice for switching from endurance swimming to sprint swimming.
- What type of training he does outside of the pool and how he maintains his muscle mass.
- Details of his weekly training schedule and how he tapers from an intense training block.
- An outline of the common mistakes that swimmers make when tapering.
- Why it is essential to stretch after a workout.
- Whether he takes rest periods during a hard training block.
- Other routines and rituals he has outside of swimming.
- Reasons why he is not a full-time vegan and examples of what he eats.
- Some of the health benefits he felt when he was a full-time vegan.
- Jeff shares his opinion on how to encourage more diversity in swimming.
- Our usual fun sprinter round of questions for Jeff.
- We wrap up the show with Maria and Kelly’s favorite takeaways.
Jeff Commings on Twitter
Jeff Commings on Instagram
Jeff Commings on Facebook
Odd Man Out
The Baton: A John Williams Musical Journey on PodBean
The Baton: A John Williams Musical Journey on Apple Podcasts
University of Texas at Austin
Episode 21: Putting Joy in your Life
Swimmers For Change
Champion’s MOJO on Facebook
Champion’s MOJO on Instagram
Champion’s MOJO on YouTube
Support the show
Thank you for listening to Champion's Mojo! If you enjoy the show, we'd be so grateful if you'd leave us a review on Apple.